I love the end of the year. I think of a cozy blanket, a lit fire, a blank Moleskin, shimmery lights of a Christmas tree, a book or two on the table, marshmallows dipped in hot chocolate, and time for reflection.
Growing up, I would look forward to New Year’s Eve primarily for all the shows that did pop culture Year-in-Review bits. There is just something comforting about closure for the year you’re in before venturing into a whole new year, with new possibilities.
It’s funny how January 1st makes you feel like you can do anything; like you’re a whole new, squeaky-clean person with limitless options and ideas. It’s just another day, but the idea of change and all that comes with striving to do something different or novel is intoxicating. I don’t make resolutions, but I like the idea of tasking myself with things I’ve never done or accomplished for the new year.
Before 2018, though, it’s time to close 2017; and my favorite ways to remember the year is making lists of my favorite things.
Top 8 Books
8. Warcross by Marie Lu
7. Cress by Marissa Meyer
6. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling
5. Golden Son by Pierce Brown
4. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
3. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
2. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling
1. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Top 8 Songs (According to my PlayTime App 😉)
8. More Adventurous – Rilo Kiley
7. Make Me Wanna Die – The Pretty Reckless
6. Everlong – Foo Fighters
5. Broken Things – Dave Matthews Band
4. The Words – Christina Perri
3. A Better Son/Daughter – Rilo Kiley
2. 18th Floor Balcony – Blue October
1. Just Tonight – The Pretty Reckless
Top 8 Shows
8. Survivor: Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers (Season 35)
7. 13 Reasons Why
6. Stranger Things (Season 2) – Except Eleven – my gosh, get a Kleenix and carry it with you!
5. Love (Season 1)
4. Big Little Lies
3. Survivor: Game Changers (Season 34)
2. Better Call Saul (Season 3)
1. Game of Thrones (Season 7) – RIP, Littlefinger
Top 4 Movies
4. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
2. The Big Sick
1. LaLa Land
So, cheers to 2018! Here’s to better books, good music, great TV shows, and more than four favorite movies :).
Until next time,